Sunday, January 1, 2017

I choose Integrity!

Here I stand before the open door...

2017 is beckoning me forward.


How will I live in this new year? 



I choose INTEGRITY.

Google defines integrity as "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness".


Every day I am faced with choices to make. Some choices are easy and cost little; others come with a greater cost. Do I really believe what I say I believe, or is it something to be discarded when it becomes inconvenient? Fully aware of the cost, I choose INTEGRITY.


C.S. Lewis fleshes out the definition: "Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching".



Both public and private choices carry weight, and all carry consequences. A careless word can pierce a heart. Inaction can cause grievous consequences for someone in an untenable situation. Selfish choices can wound a relationship or destroy a trust. Fully aware of the consequences, I choose INTEGRITY.


Tony Dungy: "Integrity. The choice between what's convenient and what's right".


Sometimes, choices are simply more convenient. And I have a wheelbarrow full of excuses and justifications: No one will know or care. I don't have time. I'm too tired. He will never say anything. Other people are doing it. Maybe it's not really that important. Fully aware of the temptations to come, I choose INTEGRITY.

In 2017 I want to choose what's right, 

whether everyone is watching or no one is watching. 


I choose INTEGRITY.

  • What word will you choose?
  • What word do you want to define you?


4 comments:

  1. Barbara, this is such a thoughful post. I, too often, can have excuses for myself if I think that I'm the only one who will be impacted. Improving in this area is a focus area for my growth this year. Thank you for sharing this!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. Whether leading, serving, or just living, we have thousands of choices each day. I want to make the most of them.
      Thank you for reading and replying. I really appreciate your feedback.
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I love this choice. I've been struggling with my word of the year choice and had thought I'd choose action. However, integrity might be more encompassing. You have given me a lot to chew on here this morning, Barbara. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shari. I would be more than happy to "share" integrity with you, if you choose to make it your word as well.
      Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. It means a lot.
      Happy New Year!

      Delete

Parent - Teacher Relationships

Recently I was asked, "What is the best way to react besides staying calm when a parent is upset?" Photo by  Icons8 Team  on  ...