Saturday, January 6, 2018

I Choose Joy!

#OneWord2018

What do I want to be and do in 2018? How can I continue to become a better, more effective teacher? What do I want my students to see in and remember about me? How do I want my colleagues to perceive me?


I Choose Joy!


For many today, emotions rise and fall at the least provocation. Joy is a steady emotion that persists even in the most difficult times.

Many of my students encounter drama and tragedy regularly in their lives, not just in their required literature readings. Joy is a willful response to situations, bringing calm and control into the most chaotic places.

As with any job, teachers are sometimes required to complete distasteful tasks. Joy is a sweet-tempered attitude that does not allow external situations to sour an otherwise pleasant day or occupation.

If I could change one element of culture today, it would be our tendency to allow our emotions to dictate our day, and to allow outside influences (people, politics, news, social media) to manipulate our emotions. I cannot.

But I can model an unflappable and joyful spirit. 

I will not minimize or ridicule others' trials, nor will I cover up the sorrows in my own life. But, 

I will choose joy.

Crossing the Finish Line: Endurance!
By Le Miroir des Sports - Le Miroir des Sports, 12 juillet 1924, p.51, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=61598095

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-2: note: you can have joy through any circumstance)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parent - Teacher Relationships

Recently I was asked, "What is the best way to react besides staying calm when a parent is upset?" Photo by  Icons8 Team  on  ...